It’s officially summer! Now I know that college students have been out for quite some time and I know that the drinks are coming (🍸)… but so are the beaches and bikini’s. But no need to worry, here are a few quite ideas for fast weight loss! These are not necessarily promised to keep the weight off forever but if your Caribbean vacation is planned for anytime next week try out these awesome detoxes and see quick results. It just takes bit of will power!
One that might be familiar is the Jillian Michael’s 7-Day Detox Drink:
- 60 oz of pure distilled water
- 1 tbsp of pure unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 pack of dandelion root tea
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
The Dr. Oz Swimsuit Slim Down Drink
- 1 cup of grapefruit juice/orange juice/or pineapple juice
- 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
- Drink before each meal, this drink helps break down fat cells faster!
Flat Tummy Water
- 6 cups of filtered water
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- 1/3 cup of mint leaves
- Let the mixture infuse overnight and you want to drink it all the next day!
Lemon Water Detox
- 1 glass of distilled water
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- You want to drink this as soon as you wake up (on an empty stomach) and throughout the day! Lemon helps weight loss by increasing your metabolic rate, drink up!
The Cinnamon Detox Tea
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 tsp of organic cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of organic honey
- Drink 1/2 a cup in the morning on an empty stomach and 1/2 a cup 45 minutes after dinner! This will help reduce your waist line, it stabilizes blood sugar levels which helps you feel satisfied and have fewer cravings.
The Honey Detox Tea
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of lemon (juice or two/three slices)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- The combination of the lemon and cinnamon are perfect for weight loss. Honey is also great for weight loss by providing the sweetness you want with the added nutrients to help with proper digestion!
People have heard of a few of these (I’m sure), but what they don’t see is the progress which is due to lack of routine and the lack of awareness to what they are eating while on these detoxes. These detoxes work the way they do because they flush your system of pretty much anything and everything. Having a set schedule and routine of what you’re going to eat as well as what your daily exercise will be is the only way to have a successful detox. A good idea for the few days before vacation is to maintain your exercise routine but be conscious of what you’re eating. What I personally do is work out in the morning and drink my lemon water (or any other drink detox) while I am working out. Another thing I do that works is drink the detox and accompany it with a smoothie as my breakfast. My favorite smoothie is kale, banana, frozen berries, and a half a scoop of any whey protein powder! This fills me up and gives me enough energy to make it to lunch.
Fruits are such a huge part of healthy living and in order to see progress with your detox you best incorporate them in your routine. Though something to keep in mind is that in order to see weight loss improvement if you eat fruit it’s a good idea to eat in moderation, as well as on an empty stomach. Fruits help your colon and your lymphatic system (what cleans your tissues) move properly during your detox time.
For lunch (you should be drinking your detox allllllllllll morning) you should start with a salad! Greens have great enzymes that helps your body digest your meals, they are also full of vitamins, minerals, and chlorophyll (helps cleanse your blood). Over all, you should be eating greens everyday, it is a great habit to get into and can benefit you beyond your detox time.
Now I know some people must be saying that going all these hours without eating is insane and will be asking about snacks, so yes, snacks are allowed. You should be eating healthy snacks every few hours to stabilize your blood sugar. Some healthy snacks include:
- Popcorn with cayenne pepper- the cayenne helps your metabolism and digestion system! Literally takes a few minutes and it is something you can make and eat without feeling guilty.
- Green smoothie- just like I mentioned before, green smoothies are my favorite and really only work in your favor. There are millions of kale smoothie recipes it’s just about finding one that you really like.
- Apples with almond butter- another great snack that you can enjoy without feeling like you’re on a diet/detox. You can trick your brain into thinking you’re eating a lot by chewing on a fruit like apples, you sustain your hunger till your next meal! (and the almond butter because it’s healthier than peanut butter and if you have any food allergies it is pretty great)
- 1/2 Avocado with lemon and olive oil- can you say delish?!? This is super easy and super tasty. You can squeeze some fresh lemon, a bit of olive oil and you can even add some chili pepper on top! Avos have a ton of fiber and antioxidants and the olive oil and lemon help with your digestive system.
- Celery and almond butter- another delicious combo, powerhouse snack. Celery again, trick your brain into thinking you’re eating a ton when in theory you’ve only had like three sticks. The almond butter is delicious and is super healthy. A great snack for on the go as well!
- Greek yogurt with berries- adding something like blueberries adds an antioxidant to your yogurt, you can also add some cinnamon for some beneficial proteins! This is a great way to get some fiber, perfect for detoxing.
Now I know this is the last thing anyone wants to hear, but in order to maintain your detox you should try to avoid sugars all together. All these sugars need to be processed by your liver which is a detrimental organ in your bodies detoxification system which takes loads and loads of energy. So avoid that for the time being and displace your energy elsewhere, trust me you’ll survive.
Exercise Exercise Exercise! Super duper important (as mentioned before), while detoxing you should be doing 20-30 minutes of vigorous workouts! Run, jog, walk, abs, whatever make sure you’re working hard and breaking a sweat!
No margarine! Remember when everyone made that huge stink about trans fat being displayed on the food product? Well now is when you actually have to start paying attention to it, no trans fat or hydrogenated fats! These make you tired and could also lead to weight gain, so lets just steer clear of that for a while, probably forever to be honest. While we’re on things you should stay away from forever are things that are artificially colored, they are no fun and they are bad for you so whats the point? Give your liver a break.
VEGGIES! Good habit to have forever is to make sure to eat your veggies, the best ways are to eat them RAW, STEAMED, or LIGHTLY SAUTÉED! So good, you won’t be disappointed.
Although things like chicken and meat proteins are good for you while you’re detoxing try to avoid animal protein. Organic meat and fresh fish are good as long as they are in smaller portions.
Alright, so I know that this was a lot and it seems like a tons of rules no one has time to follow, they are really there to help you start living a healthier/detoxed life! These things are a perfect way to lose weight quickly and if you are interested in keeping the weight of (which I am sure you are), I will be writing a piece soon on mindful eating and how to incorporate a workout to your day no matter how busy.
Being fit doesn’t have to be scary. Set goals, keep track of your life and you will be in control! Be healthy and feel good about yourself, it’s amazing and way way worth it.
xoxo, The Retired Athlete
*tsp- teaspoon *tbsp- tablespoon